Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2019, 03:42 AM   #5801 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
About the SA energy cost graph...

Correlation? Nah, blame the wind.

In reality there are many factors influencing electricity costs, and of course a major overhaul of the supply chain will add cost - irrespective of what kind of energy source is involved.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 05-11-2019 at 04:22 AM..

The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-11-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-11-2019, 12:49 PM   #5802 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
define my terms

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
  • Bulleted lists are a feature
  • They can be used as you describe.
Define my terms? I was responding to yours.
  • free bullet point
______

Climate Silence? What? Is that different to pushback?

I would not use climate anxiety to push communism.

I have no idea about Aton Petrov's credentials. He's another popularizer.

Hello wonderful person! Red dwarf go boom.
Since you don't provide specifics I'll guess:
*mini nova: I went over to NASA and looked.I didn't see anything related to climate.What am I looking for? The CHANDRA satellite is looking in the X-ray spectrum.
*Earth's atmosphere is completely opaque to X-ray.It can't affect the Earth.
*Relativistic charged-particles from a nova will begin to be deflected 11-billion miles from the Sun,at the Heliopause (Interplanetary Magnetic Field (IMF)).And again above 215-miles elevation above Earth.
*Some particles will strike the atmosphere and create secondary particles.And those routinely penetrate us.We're mainly space,so they just blow through the orbital space between our atom's nuclei and electron cloud.These may be responsible for life on Earth.
*If the Sun's magnetic field is stronger,there will be fewer cosmic particles reaching Earth.
*Earthquakes,Volcanoes,sea-floor spreading,Mountain ranges,and volcanic islands are all possible due to the axial asymmetry of Earth's core and the tidal effects it creates.Suspicious Observer would have the listener believe that they're controlled by the Solar/Earth electromagnetic coupling.
*Refrigerator magnets have 100X the magnetic strength of the Sun.
*Refrigerator magnets have 1000X the strength of Earth's magnetic field.
*If electromagnetic fields were responsible for earthquakes and volcanic eruptions,we'd have to be looking at refrigerators and computer hard drives as the causal agents.
Please let me know specifically what else I need to address.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:53 PM   #5803 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Climate Silence

This term is from the current issue of The Nation.It has to do with the deafening silence from mainstream media,with respect to reporting on climate change.
The Nation claims that mainstream television broadcast networks remain the main source of news and information in the United States.

The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
freebeard (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 01:23 PM   #5804 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Communism

*Article 1,Section 8,of the United States Constitution,the Welfare clause,legally authorizes the United States Govt. to enact laws for the overall general welfare of the people...the basis for implied powers necessary to carry the express provisions of the Constitution.
*Failure to protect, constitutes dereliction of duty on the part of the president,congress,or supreme court, as per 'Necessita inducit privilegium quoad jura privata.'
*Under,Jam v. International Finance Corporation,the United States Supreme Court ruled that there is no such thing as 'virtual absolute immunity' from the law.No one.We the People are legally empowered to bring suit for remedy against any entity,globally,to enable our exemption form injury or calamity, now that the metric of 'Causa sine qua non' or 'Proximate cause' has been met.
*The United States Govt. may constrain the 1st-Amendment rights of any individual or corporations if 'the words used.., create a clear and present danger' to We the People.(Schenck v. United States)
*The US democracy virtually dictates facilitation for the Green New Deal,as a Constitutional mandate.It has virtually nothing to do with communism.

Old 05-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #5805 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Flares

*If a flare was long-lived,Earth would have an opportunity to intersect it once every 27-days,due to the Carrington rotation of the Sun and Earth's orbital path.
*The flare would have to lie within the plain of the eccliptic to have any chance for the intersection to occur.
*At any other latitude,it would pass either 'above' us,or 'below' us.
*The Coriolis effect of the Sun's rotation would distort the flare into a Parker spiral,complicating even more, any prediction as to whether or not an intersection would occur.
*Depending upon the trajectory of the flare,Earth's magnetospere would have a chance to shunt some of it's energy,depending on latitude.
*Between the Carrington Event and now,Cold War R&D has provided for 'hardening' of electronics and electrical devices, which centered on fear of Electomagnetic Pulse (EMP) from nuclear detonations.It could be,that a similar event today,might not produce the disruption experienced before.
*While watching an episode of 'Flying Wild Alaska' a solar storm momentarily knocked out radio and GPS electronics.The pilot just flew on with inertial navigation.Within a few minutes,both radio and GPS were back online.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #5806 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Too bad that on average, Germany and South Australia have the most expensive electricity in the world.

After spending 8-weeks with a German national,I feel that the price structure represented in the table would fail us,unless we added in the context of each governments social services provided to their citizens,as a function of 'price.'
We've got to remember that the price-point for energy in the United States can remarkably under reflect its absolute social cost to everyone on the planet.If these 'hidden' costs were included,then we might see pricing structures more inline with nations of higher standards of living.

RedDevil (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 02:14 PM   #5807 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

extinction

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
This from Subverse (this Subverse, not that other one):

The climate scientists argue factually,that,for the most part, extinctions are driven by land use behavior,fishing practices,and anthopogenically-induced global climate change.

NeilBlanchard (05-13-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 02:17 PM   #5808 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ave MPG by state

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
You know what I haven't been able to find with Google is data on average EPA MPG by state. I wanted to know the average (mean) MPG of vehicles sold by state so I could see if there is a correlation between fuel tax rate, and MPG.

As I've been saying, the correct way to reduce consumption of something which has negative externalities is to tax it to achieve consumption goals.
I looked at my 2019 World Almanac.It contains all the data you'd need to do the analysis.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #5809 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

my utility

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
That chart confirms the trend in Sendler's showing that electricity price has far exceeded normal inflation. In fact, it's about twice as expensive as it was in 2007.

I'd be PO'd if my utility said "good news everyone, you'll get the same amount of electricity, but pay as if you've used twice as much".
I'm delighted to pay an extra penny/kWh for zero-carbon.A whole extra $1.10/month.Real rape!

Last edited by aerohead; 05-11-2019 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: spell

Old 05-11-2019, 03:00 PM   #5810 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

price

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
It is partially caused by the incentives and new interconnects required to stimulate wind build out. And then made much worse but eh intermittent output of a growing percentage of wind causing bidding wars among thermal back up suppliers that are now relegated to running only in back up circumstances. But we are finally starting to see that the initial costs have been absorbed and the capacity is increasing to a point where it begins to be useful.
The point is to show that the transition to wind and solar is not initially cheaper as is so often stated in the green media and it takes a concerted dedication and continued use of current thermal electric production and heavy liquid fueled machinery to implement any attempt at transition. Germany has been pursuing the transition for 20 years and still has the highest electricity price in the world even though they have access to the highest caliber offshore wind resources.
Normalize prices to include hidden costs,then do the comparison.Wind is the cheapest energy on Earth.Today.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, opinion, reality, scam