Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2024, 03:46 PM   #1581 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,563 Times in 2,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
1) If the USA had a billion people, we'd be a 'third world nation' also, and the IPCC would allow us to build out additional coal-fired power plants as well.
2) If your political party would like to 'end' NAFTA, and GATT, we can re-onshore all the manufacturing capacity that China presently provides for us, and you can simply triple your income, in order to maintain your present standard of living.
3) And all that air pollution your imported products are creating in China, can come back to New Mexico.
New Mexico only has 2 air pollution hot spots some years and when they do make the list they're barely 20th for most air polluted cities in the US.

The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-19-2024)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-19-2024, 09:10 AM   #1582 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Production is moving to Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia. Maybe Mexico.
They are building chip making plants there? Didn't think the infrastructure was adequate
Old 08-19-2024, 09:38 AM   #1583 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,026 Posts
Saw this, immediately thought of freebeard
https://edition.cnn.com/2024/08/15/s...unt/index.html
Old 08-19-2024, 11:18 AM   #1584 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,324 Times in 4,732 Posts
' only has 2 '

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
New Mexico only has 2 air pollution hot spots some years and when they do make the list they're barely 20th for most air polluted cities in the US.
As time progresses, we may find that what isolates you presently, changes with changes to the Jet Stream, which is highly-dependent upon the Polar Vortex, which 'lives' where the Earth is warming the most rapidly.
Where I live, near Dallas, we've recently been experiencing the Saharan dust storms rolling off the east coast of Africa, where the hurricane embryos also enter the Inter Tropical Convergence Zone ( ITCZ ).
When the Iraqi oil fields were set on ablaze during the Iraq War, smoke from the conflagration was observed over the American Midwest within 27-hours!
The world truly is 'connected.' And what 'is' presently, may no longer 'be' what is in the future.
About ten years ago, the 'general circulation models', climate scientists used to help predict what a 'doubling' of atmospheric greenhouse gases would 'look like', ran to around 3,600-pages of Fortran-10 code.
They work to continually improve the 'math', but it's literally a 'global' challenge.
And it takes a 'Swamp' to pay for.
Be happy you don't live in Ruidoso. Especially on the Mescalero Apache Reservation.
Old 08-19-2024, 11:22 AM   #1585 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD

Van - '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Thanked 4,458 Times in 3,424 Posts
I got Good News! My utility sent a letter saying Oregon's geniuses have figured out how to end global warming, and it just requires our utilities to increase by 35%, keeping in mind they have already increased by about that much in the past 3 years.

We're so close to giving enough money to geniuses that all of our problems will be solved. I'm just thankful I don't have to do any of the thinking, because that's hard.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-19-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 11:43 AM   #1586 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

' 35% '

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I got Good News! My utility sent a letter saying Oregon's geniuses have figured out how to end global warming, and it just requires our utilities to increase by 35%, keeping in mind they have already increased by about that much in the past 3 years.

We're so close to giving enough money to geniuses that all of our problems will be solved. I'm just thankful I don't have to do any of the thinking, because that's hard.
Did they have any ' insightful' data that would allow the reader to comprehend the plausibility of their claim? Caveats? Conditions?
It's 'possible' that they are 'correct', but they'd need to arm the reader with enough numerical information that would allow them to come to the same outcome.
Public information officers, gotta love 'em!
Old 08-19-2024, 11:53 AM   #1587 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,818 Times in 7,275 Posts
Piotrsko:
Portal:The Simpsons/Character quote/48 - Wikipedia
The Simpsons/Character quote/48. < Portal:The Simpsons ‎ | Character quote. ". My fellow Americans. As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball. But tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom! ".

Old 08-19-2024, 11:58 AM   #1588 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD

Van - '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Thanked 4,458 Times in 3,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Did they have any ' insightful' data that would allow the reader to comprehend the plausibility of their claim?
The only figure offered was an average bill increase of 35%.

I learned the acronym CPP stands for Oregon's Climate Protection Program. It must involve some sort of dome that isolates our atmosphere from the rest of the world, as you pointed out the ability of pollution to rapidly travel.

The other acronym is CCI which stands for Community Climate Investment. The extra cash from consumers paying 35% more than necessary to energize their homes will go to non-profits who "will use the proceeds from these CCI sales to help fund various projects that could - but are not required to - result in emissions reductions at some point in the future".

"Is CCI the same as a carbon offset?

No. With carbon offsets, there are well-documented international standards and protocols to guarantee that an offset results in projects that measurably lower emissions.

By comparison, in its carbon accounting, DEQ will include CCIs as emissions savings even if a project has not reduced emissions."

I'm just thankful that Kate Brown knows how climate science works, consumer behavior, energy markets, and can dictate precisely the things Oregonians alone need to do to solve global warming. I say we nominate her dictator for life before someone else that hasn't figured everything out like she has gets in.

I see a move to Idaho in my future, and I'll burn everything left behind that could potentially have value to support the race to the bottom.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-19-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 12:15 PM   #1589 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

' Oregon & 35% '

Pacific Gas & Electric 'solved' the Energy Crisis in 1973 by demanding that ALL customers reduce use by 15%, and we did; so PG&E turned around and raised their rate by 15%, which would have had to have the blessing of California's Public Utilities Commission. Brilliant!, and kinda like having hemorrhoids, but, without the hemorrhoids.
We've got to give credit to Oregon! They're asking for the pay raise first, promising the 'improvement' to follow, by unspecified means.
I'll know that they've 'done it' when Oregonians begin to walk kinda funny.
Old 08-19-2024, 01:13 PM   #1590 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,818 Times in 7,275 Posts
Quote:
I see a move to Idaho in my future, and I'll burn everything left behind that could potentially have value to support the race to the bottom.
I want Idaho to come to me, but my county isn't one of the thirteen that want to join Greater Idaho.

Otherwise, move to what Brandon Herrera called the greatest country in the World -- Texas.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
climate change, cringe, lies, scam