Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Closed Thread  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #1221 (permalink)
CFECO
 
CFECO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vail, AZ.
Posts: 552

X-Car - '11 Homemade 2+2

Velbly1 - '17 Toyota Camery XSE
90 day: 29 mpg (US)

Velbly2 - '13 Toyota Tundra
90 day: 18.03 mpg (US)
Thanks: 174
Thanked 60 Times in 56 Posts
We KNOW the Earth was warmer in the past than it is now, or is projected to be in the next Hundred years, so we will not be Destroying anything. As far as Oil Companies getting rich, they are doing it by suppling the most needed resource for people to live healthy productive lives, Affordable Energy, plastics, and chemicals. The Man Caused Global Warming...OOPS Climate Change Profiteers are getting Rich off of this also, follow the Money. There are thousands of companies working to make Energy production, cleaner, safer, and cheaper, but when the Politicians get involved it usually just turns into a vote buying scheme. I'm tired of paying for those, and many cannot afford to pay any more.

 
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 01-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #1222 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
NeilBlanchard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maynard, MA Eaarth
Posts: 7,873

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanks: 3,386
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,812 Posts
Charles, the rate of change this time around is much quicker than in the past. The human species has never endured this sort of climate change - and all of those changes in the past were natural causes, that no one could have controlled. The results of those changes was drastic!

Since we are causing it this time, then we should stop what we are doing to cause it. We do not want to subject ourselves - and the rest of life on earth to this kind of change.

Here's one aspect of climate change:

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2014/01/1...ia-dry-weather
__________________
Sincerely, Neil

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 01-10-2014 at 12:44 PM..
 
The Following User Says Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
Occasionally6 (01-11-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #1223 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: nowhere
Posts: 533
Thanks: 31
Thanked 86 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Charles, the rate of change this time around is much quicker than in the past.
Is this a fact or a belief? What is your definition of "the past"? Show us some climate statistics from more than a century ago. Of course you can't - because statistics weren't kept then.


Quote:
The human species has never endured this sort of climate change...
This is your propagandistic belief. It is not a provable fact. How do you know what the weather was like over a century ago? You don't. No one does.
Quote:

...and all of those changes in the past were natural causes, that no one could have controlled. The results of those changes was drastic!
"Drastic"! Never let a trumped up crisis go to waste. That's an expedient political ploy.
Quote:
Since we are causing it this time...
That's ideological propaganda, not science. Some scientists are paid through government subsidies to advance this ideological position. The purported cause is an unprovable theory based upon a convenient and politically useful assumption, not scientific fact. It plays upon the guilt feelings of those who can be made to feel guilty that they are "causing it".

Quote:
...then we should stop what we are doing to cause it. We do not want to subject ourselves - and the rest of life on earth to this kind of change.
You don't, Neil. But your relentless stream of propaganda hasn't convinced us that climate variation is caused by human activity.
 
Old 01-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #1224 (permalink)
CFECO
 
CFECO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vail, AZ.
Posts: 552

X-Car - '11 Homemade 2+2

Velbly1 - '17 Toyota Camery XSE
90 day: 29 mpg (US)

Velbly2 - '13 Toyota Tundra
90 day: 18.03 mpg (US)
Thanks: 174
Thanked 60 Times in 56 Posts
Neil, How do we just "Stop" what we are doing, turn off the all the Power Plants and stop driving ICE powered vehicles, and throwing Tax dollars at Every pet project that "They" say is the "Solution"? America went from beginning powered flight to the Moon in less than 100 years, it didn't happen overnight. We've been working on efficient vehicles for 40ish, while cleaning up our Cities Air quality immensely, and tripling our MPG while making cars safer. What was the result of those past changes, destruction of life on Earth...no. If it has been hotter before from Natural causes, what would man do if it became hotter again by Natural causes, scream and yell and steal everyones money, to give to pie-in-the sky projects? I am ALL for conserving Energy, producing Cleaner energy, and helping people live better lives, but there is only so much money to go around...how much of mine do you think the Government has a right to, so it can waste it, 30%, 50%, 75%? Also, I'd like someone who is ALL for the Government talking more of our money, PLEASE name ONE thing the Government does "Efficiently" with our money?
 
Old 01-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #1225 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: nowhere
Posts: 533
Thanks: 31
Thanked 86 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFECO View Post
Neil, How do we just "Stop" what we are doing, turn off the all the Power Plants and stop driving ICE powered vehicles, and throwing Tax dollars at Every pet project that "They" say is the "Solution"?
Gee, it looks like the guilt mongering strategy isn't working too well.
Quote:
America went from beginning powered flight to the Moon in less than 100 years, it didn't happen overnight. We've been working on efficient vehicles for 40ish, while cleaning up our Cities Air quality immensely, and tripling our MPG while making cars safer. What was the result of those past changes, destruction of life on Earth...no. If it has been hotter before from Natural causes, what would man do if it became hotter again by Natural causes, scream and yell and steal everyones money, to give to pie-in-the sky projects? I am ALL for conserving Energy, producing Cleaner energy, and helping people live better lives, but there is only so much money to go around...how much of mine do you think the Government has a right to, so it can waste it, 30%, 50%, 75%? Also, I'd like someone who is ALL for the Government talking more of our money, PLEASE name ONE thing the Government does "Efficiently" with our money?
Money is the mother's milk of politics. For that purpose politicians use it efficiently and effectively to increase their power over us all.
 
Old 01-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #1226 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 17,051
Thanks: 4,553
Thanked 5,722 Times in 4,563 Posts
What Goes Around Comes Around
http://http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=82786&eocn=home&eoci=iotd_title
Quote:
In the United States, the cold spell generated public debate about whether such events disprove global warming or if, in fact, they are exacerbated or caused by it. However, most climate scientists and meteorologists are wary of drawing such connections between climate and weather, which operate on different time scales.
“It’s tempting to link individual weather events like this to broader discussions of climate change, and there certainly are some interesting theories out there, but the science really isn’t mature enough at this point to make any meaningful connections,” said Paul Newman, an atmospheric scientist based at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center. “One-off events like this are neither evidence for or against climate change.”
 
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
TheEnemy (01-11-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 10:28 PM   #1227 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
mcrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,523

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Thanks: 2,203
Thanked 659 Times in 474 Posts
And now for a fresh point of view...



Emily Hulsey | On 10, Jan 2014

The Democratic party has found a new consequence of climate change: prostitution. Rep. Barbara Lee and twelve other House Democrats issued a resolution stating that climate change can cause food and water shortages, which could lead impoverished women to turn to prostitution as a means of income:

“[I]nsecure women with limited socioeconomic resources may be vulnerable to situations such as sex work, transactional sex, and early marriage that put them at risk for HIV, STIs, unplanned pregnancy, and poor reproductive health,” it says.

More broadly, the resolution says climate change will hurt “marginalized” women, such as refugees, sexual minorities, adolescent girls, and women and girls with HIV. It also cites Hurricane Katrina as evidence of how climate change can affect women, noting that the storm displaced “over 83 percent of low-income, single mothers” in the region.
__________________
MetroMPG: "Get the MPG gauge - it turns driving into a fuel & money saving game."

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
 
Old 01-10-2014, 10:47 PM   #1228 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
P-hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,408

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
Thanks: 102
Thanked 249 Times in 201 Posts
shaming prostitution is hardly fresh. Keeping it illegal is what makes it a seedy profession.
 
Old 01-11-2014, 12:16 AM   #1229 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 17,051
Thanks: 4,553
Thanked 5,722 Times in 4,563 Posts
Filed under 'knock-on effects'.
 
Old 01-11-2014, 01:34 AM   #1230 (permalink)
NightKnight
 
NachtRitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Placerville, CA
Posts: 1,594

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Thanks: 303
Thanked 310 Times in 186 Posts
Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFECO View Post
We KNOW the Earth was warmer in the past than it is now, or is projected to be in the next Hundred years, so we will not be Destroying anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
Is this a fact or a belief? What is your definition of "the past"? Show us some climate statistics from more than a century ago. Of course you can't - because statistics weren't kept then.
So do we know what the temperatures were in the past or don't we?

 
Closed Thread  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com