Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #41 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
The only unexpected behavior is that my Ultragauge turns off when I flip the switch.
That happens to me too, sometimes, but I could not detect a break in the data recording, so I have not worried about it. Watch yours and see if it keeps tracking changes in your fuel economy average during the "blackout."

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #42 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
I finally got a chance to revisit this (I've been EOC with key-off since I dismantled the original kill switch wiring, what, last year?). I cut the same wire darcane did, and--voila!--works like a charm.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #43 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
I finally got a chance to revisit this (I've been EOC with key-off since I dismantled the original kill switch wiring, what, last year?). I cut the same wire darcane did, and--voila!--works like a charm.
Congrats! Much easier than key-off... now you'll feel like you have a James Bond gadget-car again.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
You're welcome! Much better than Key-Off.

I just did a bunch of work on my Civic and found one little SNAFU. When you pull the engine, you need to disconnect that gray connector and pull it out through the firewall. In hindsight, I would that wire on the cabin side of the gray connector rather than the engine side.

Of course, pulling the engine is rare enough that it's not a major deal either way.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 10-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Well, I went ahead and did it last night. I snipped the yellow/black wire on the backside of the connector shown in the picture above. I wired up a relay and tested it on the way into work this morning.

Flip it off and the engine cuts out immediately and the MIL comes on. No Immobilizer light on the dash. Flip it back on and I can bump start it right back up any time.

The only unexpected behavior is that my Ultragauge turns off when I flip the switch.
I have an 05 Civic. So all I need to do is wire a relay into the yellow/black wire on the back of the connector to do some EOC cruising??

To restart, I can then just bump the ignition to start and that's it?? Does the MIL go back out?
Old 10-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2013 STi *SOLD* - '13 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 26.59 mpg (US)

1996 Geo Metro *RETIRED from Ecomodding* - '96 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarguy01 View Post
I have an 05 Civic. So all I need to do is wire a relay into the yellow/black wire on the back of the connector to do some EOC cruising??

To restart, I can then just bump the ignition to start and that's it?? Does the MIL go back out?
To restart the car, you bump the clutch...not ignition.

Yes, the MIL light should go away once you restart.

See the rest of the Sti project log:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...log-26612.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jedi_sol For This Useful Post:
darcane (10-09-2013), sarguy01 (10-08-2013)
Old 10-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Yep. It's that easy. And you can interrupt on either side of that gray connector (it just passes straight through). The hard part was figuring out which wire, and that is now done.

Also, change your cabin air filter while you are in there...

Thanks, Jedi, for getting the rest.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 01-20-2014, 10:06 AM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
One more question...can I use a momentary switch to activate a relay to kill the engine, then let go of the momentary switch?? Will coasting with the engine off but having the injectors powered give me any troubles??
Old 01-20-2014, 01:24 PM   #49 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
One more question...can I use a momentary switch to activate a relay to kill the engine, then let go of the momentary switch?? Will coasting with the engine off but having the injectors powered give me any troubles??
Yes, you can do that. The injectors will be powered but not injecting fuel until you restart the engine. I coast in neutral, with the engine off, and the injectors powered, all the time.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
sarguy01 (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, that's fine and no it won't cause any problems. I do it all the time.

Note, you may need to hold the switch down (takes about 1-3 seconds for my car, depending on RPM) before the engine stops completely. If you stop interrupting the circuit before then, it will fire back up.

So far the only "trouble" I've had with my switch is that I tried to bump start it once and forgot to flip the switch back. It threw a code for a faulty crank sensor since the kill switch also kills that circuit. I forgot several times, only got the code once. I cleared the code and it's been fine ever since.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
The Following User Says Thank You to darcane For This Useful Post:
sarguy01 (01-20-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread