Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #311 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqidd View Post
You need to get the Talon on the dyno.
Yes that will happen just need waiting on my friend that has the 7 second Talon to get his new AWD dyno.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #312 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Here is my good friend Trevor going up against some big cubic in cars at the
No Prep drags in Oklahoma. There are no times shown its a heads up race without clocks do to a lot of street racers run these events.
http://youtu.be/xMJQXELRsZk

His car runs 8.0 in the 1/4 and has gone 175 mph.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #313 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wonderfully crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
Here is my good friend Trevor going up against some big cubic in cars at the
No Prep drags in Oklahoma. There are no times shown its a heads up race without clocks do to a lot of street racers run these events.
http://youtu.be/xMJQXELRsZk

His car runs 8.0 in the 1/4 and has gone 175 mph.
All of information points to the engine, but I am more interested in the drive train. A stock Mitsu AWD setup isn't going to live through a 1300 hp pass. What does he modify or replace to allow drive train longevity?
The Following User Says Thank You to RustyLugNut For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (09-01-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 07:50 PM   #314 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
All of information points to the engine, but I am more interested in the drive train. A stock Mitsu AWD setup isn't going to live through a 1300 hp pass. What does he modify or replace to allow drive train longevity?
The front diff is welded.
Transfer gears are a custom straight cut that he builds.
IPT front basket and clutches.
IPT shift kit.
Kiggly flex plate.
After market converter.
Modified transfer case with aftermarket gears.
Front and Rear Drive Shaft Shop axles.
Drive Shaft shop one piece drive-line.
Stock rear diff.

The other thing that helps is the car is extremely light now around 2500lbs w/driver.

Last edited by pgfpro; 09-02-2015 at 10:28 AM..
Old 09-04-2015, 02:31 PM   #315 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
This is an amazing project on so many levels! Thank you for sharing your build. The waste solvent system would be groundbreaking on its own but coupled with the compound turbo system, you have found the Holy Grail. You achieved better fuel efficiency combined with massive power increases. Incredible.

Let me see if I have this right. Exhaust gas drives the big turbo which empties into a downpipe which flows to the small turbo to spin it. However, the intake air travels back to the small turbo first though its own small intercooler and into the big turbo and through a FMIC (Front Mounted Intercooler) and into the intake manifold for the engine. I suppose the small turbo has a waste gate to keep from being overspun at high boost?

I love my TDI for the power when I want it and the efficiency the rest of the time but you have seriously raised the bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.

Last edited by COcyclist; 09-04-2015 at 04:22 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to COcyclist For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #316 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcyclist View Post
This is an amazing project on so many levels! Thank you for sharing your build. The waste solvent system would be groundbreaking on its own but coupled with the compound turbo system, you have found the Holy Grail. You achieved better fuel efficiency combined with massive power increases. Incredible.

Let me see if I have this right. Exhaust gas drives the big turbo which empties into a downpipe which flows to the small turbo to spin it. However, the intake air travels back to the small turbo first though and through its own small intercooler and into the big turbo and through a FMIC (Front Mounted Intercooler) and into the intake manifold for the engine. I suppose the small turbo has a waste gate to keep from being overspun at high boost?

I love my TDI for the power when I want it and the efficiency the rest of the time but you have seriously raised the bar.
Thanks!!!

On my compound system the small turbo is connected to the head, it gets the exhaust first, once the small turbo reaches its set boost level the 44 mm wastegate opens and starts by passing the small turbos turbine. Both the exhaust gas going through the small turbine and around the turbine through the wastegate get dumped into the down pipe that goes under the car and feeds the large turbo turbine inlet. The large turbo has a wastegate that opens when it reaches the set boost pressure, and then dumps to the atmosphere.

The large turbo is the first turbo to get atmosphere air at its compressor inlet. It then compresses the air and runs through the first stage intercooler then out to the large turbos charge pipe that goes under the car and back up to the small turbos inlet, where the air gets compressed again from the small turbo. The small turbo outlet goes to the front mount intercooler then feeds into the engine.

The large turbo thinks its feeding a 4.0L engine or bigger depending on the boost level.

The small turbo thinks its anywhere from 0' to 15000' below sea level.

The waste solvent system is still amazing me. I'm up to 75% waste solvent now and its working great at this point.

I need to start getting it ready for the winter now and install the wipers and rear inner fenders.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pgfpro For This Useful Post:
Ardent (09-04-2015), COcyclist (09-04-2015), deanznz (11-04-2023)
Old 09-04-2015, 06:08 PM   #317 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
The small turbo thinks its anywhere from 0' to 15000' below sea level.
Nice!

Would compounds on a more ordinary, lower boost gas engine be an effective means of broadening the RPM range at which boost is available? Perhaps this is one of the reasons for what you're doing; however, with everything else going on. . . I'm not sure!

I am familiar with the use of compounding as a means of achieving multiplicative levels of boost in diesel applications (perhaps yours too?).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ardent For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 06:45 PM   #318 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent View Post
Nice!

Would compounds on a more ordinary, lower boost gas engine be an effective means of broadening the RPM range at which boost is available? Perhaps this is one of the reasons for what you're doing; however, with everything else going on. . . I'm not sure!

I am familiar with the use of compounding as a means of achieving multiplicative levels of boost in diesel applications (perhaps yours too?).
Nice question.

This is one of the things I wanted to find out when running a gasoline turbo compound system.

What I have found so far is at normal freeway speed the compound setup acts like the single turbo set up. So no gain and no loss.

Where the compound system has improve FE is acceleration from a dead stop.
The car acts like a very large engine thats running a very small turbo that gives me boost at off idle.

I can run it in lean burn from the dead stop and accelerate up to the speed limit with no intake pumping losses now. With the large turbo before when it was a single turbo system it would have turbo lag and get terrible FE from a stop. The single turbo wouldn't start making any boost until around 4500 rpm, and thats way to high of a rpm for FE. Now I have boost at 1500 rpm. This also helps with my low compression engine. I would love to run a higher compression engine, but I can't because of the dual purpose of the build FE/High Performance. I'm making around 500WHP on pump fuel. Well pump fuel with waste solvent.

The thing I don't know and bugs the crap out of me is what would happen if the compression was higher??? Would it knock from a dead stop with the compounds instant boost??? IDK.

What I do know is this thing is a major turd when I blow a charge pipe off. To the point I think I killed the engine. I think my Insight would out run it.lol

So, yes to your part of the question "broadening the RPM range"
When at low rpm from a dead stop running around 8 psi of boost it helps and I think it would work for a down size engine that needs more power that would run at 14.7 A/F instead of my 18:1 A/F lean burn.

I also think we will see some DEP Divide Exhaust Period systems in the near future. This is something I would love to try in the near future. I'll save that for another post

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pgfpro For This Useful Post:
Ardent (09-04-2015), deanznz (11-04-2023)
Old 09-04-2015, 07:45 PM   #319 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Thanks for the good explanation and answer.

By what are you gaging zero pumping losses?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ardent For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #320 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent View Post
Thanks for the good explanation and answer.

By what are you gaging zero pumping losses?
Going off my MAP sensor reading of 0 vacuum to 6 psi of boost. Also data logging exhaust back pressure. Running a + engine delta p.

The Following User Says Thank You to pgfpro For This Useful Post:
Ardent (09-04-2015)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
bio fuel, lean burn, turbo compound