Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #271 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

hX-TREME!!! - '97 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 54.75 mpg (US)

450sX-TREME!!! - '95 Nissan V8 240sx

chodercycle - '06 kawasaki ninja zx6r 636
Yes we pay WAY more attention and understand the flow of traffic 100 times better than everyone else, but to be honest I kind of do some really stupid stuff trying to maintain speed and not use brakes on the freeway and around turns an such.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #272 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
I have to admit - I too have stretched things more than once to avoid losing momentum.

On another topic - I'm making an effort to prepare for the truly cold weather that's coming.

Got thermostat changed. Was 172ºF, is now 180ºF. Formerly the car ran at about 182ºF, now runs at approx 195ºF. A hotter t'stat was available but that would have put operating temp about 205-210ºF, and that would cause the radiator fan to run frequently. So I'm happy with the 180ºF t'stat and 195ºF result.

Made a nicer grill block for the upper grill on Civic. Stainless screws hold it on which aren't so pretty, but the plexiglass panel is nicer than the duct tape that was there before. Lower grill has a newish panel I put on this past summer, with a sliding cover over an approx 8" x 12" opening so I can adjust for various outside temperatures.

Have been researching how to do a coolant heater on the Civic. If successful I'll write it up. Quite a few approaches do not work on this car. I believe I'll be able to use a "tank type" convection flow heater, with coolant entering heater from the lower rad hose via a T adapter (by Kat's) and exiting towards the hot side heater hose, again via a T adapter. Heater by ZeroStart has a backflow check valve. As I say, full details later if this is successful.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #273 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
Have been researching how to do a coolant heater on the Civic. If successful I'll write it up. Quite a few approaches do not work on this car. I believe I'll be able to use a "tank type" convection flow heater, with coolant entering heater from the lower rad hose via a T adapter (by Kat's) and exiting towards the hot side heater hose, again via a T adapter. Heater by ZeroStart has a backflow check valve. As I say, full details later if this is successful.
Someone posted a thread on here about a stock Honda coolant heater. Search function should reveal it. It was for the fifth gen, but someone else posted about their first gen Insight. If both those cars had one as an option, I gotta think the sixth gen Civic has one too.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:36 AM   #274 (permalink)

Changed the oil this weekend and noticed the power steering had it's own belt and it was in rough shape. Rather than replacing it, I just pulled it off. I don't know if I will keep it like that or not; on the infrequent times that my wife drives the Civic she will hate it.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 10-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #275 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

My Civic - '00 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Someone posted a thread on here about a stock Honda coolant heater. Search function should reveal it. It was for the fifth gen, but someone else posted about their first gen Insight. If both those cars had one as an option, I gotta think the sixth gen Civic has one too.
I'm pretty sure that mine's a stock block heater. Heated up to 110 F according to my UG on a day just above freezing. Aftermarket heaters would warm it much more depending on the wattage. Very interested if Brucepicks install works out.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #276 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Changed the oil this weekend and noticed the power steering had it's own belt and it was in rough shape. Rather than replacing it, I just pulled it off. I don't know if I will keep it like that or not; on the infrequent times that my wife drives the Civic she will hate it.
I took mine off a year and a half ago and I don't miss it at all except slightly when parallel parking, but these cars are small and light. It's easier to park than my mom's 1975 Beatle. It will benefit your FE a little, and I would imagine it should be noticeable if your driving is relatively consistent. (Not a scientific assessment, but some mods seem even to be visible to the relatively uncontrolled conditions of everyday commuting.)
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 10-22-2012 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 10-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #277 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic CX/HX - '97 Honda Civic CX/HX
Team Honda
90 day: 63.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
Made a nicer grill block for the upper grill on Civic. Stainless screws hold it on which aren't so pretty, but the plexiglass panel is nicer than the duct tape that was there before. Lower grill has a newish panel I put on this past summer, with a sliding cover over an approx 8" x 12" opening so I can adjust for various outside temperatures.
Where are the pictures???

My Thermostat seems to be acting up. I thought this HX engine was taking too long to warm up to temperature, and then I noticed today the temp dropped completley down on the highway in an Engine on Coast I was doing. So looks like I will be swapping out the T-stat this week before my trip to Chicago.

Anyone have recommendations on brands or temps to get? when I bought one from my CX a month ago Autozone had a "safe" T stat available for the car. Instead of failing and staying shut, it would fail and stay open. Not sure if it is worth the extra money, but it seems like a cool idea if it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
This is a great mod to do. I kinda fell into it as my CX already had a manual rack and when I swapped over the HX stuff, I did not switch to the power rack. Did DX 7th Gen civics come without power steering? That could be another option for you, my wife does not mind the non power steering car aspect of my car. Now the duct tape on the front bumper, that is a different story. Lol
I replaced my shocks and lowered the car last week 2 inches. Aside from having to special order a bushing and my car being down all week, it was a pretty simple procedure. Needless to say, my driving on the car was cut back a bit so my team contribution will be slowed a little. I am sitting at about 400 miles on this tank, so I should have two more fillips to add before next week.

Last edited by turbovr41991; 10-22-2012 at 10:47 AM..
Old 10-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #278 (permalink)
EcoModding Former Lurker

2018 VW Alltrack S Manual - '18 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack (Manual) S
90 day: 32.29 mpg (US)
I'd Do It Again...

I removed my Civic's power steering belt last year. I did it hoping to save a little gas, but I'd do it again even if I thought it would have no effect on fuel efficiency. The car handles much better without power steering, and I haven't missed having it once.

-Whitey

Old 10-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #279 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovr41991 View Post
This is a great mod to do. I kinda fell into it as my CX already had a manual rack and when I swapped over the HX stuff, I did not switch to the power rack. Did DX 7th Gen civics come without power steering? That could be another option for you, my wife does not mind the non power steering car aspect of my car. Now the duct tape on the front bumper, that is a different story. Lol
I replaced my shocks and lowered the car last week 2 inches. Aside from having to special order a bushing and my car being down all week, it was a pretty simple procedure. Needless to say, my driving on the car was cut back a bit so my team contribution will be slowed a little. I am sitting at about 400 miles on this tank, so I should have two more fillips to add before next week.
No manual rack that I can find for the 7th gen. Some people replace the pump and hoses with a loop and a breather T'd into it which is supposed to make it a little easier to turn. I hardly noticed it for most of my commute, just on some slower turns and improved feel of the road. I'll probably leave it like that unless my wife starts driving it more and complains about it. It is harder than some of my old cars with manual steering though ('69 Nova, '68 C10, and '67 Mustang), likely due to having steering ratios that are intended for power assist.

I'd like to lower a little and get full moon hub caps (for aesthetics as much as anything else), maybe a chin spoiler too, although it's rather beat up under the front bumper, so that may be a challenge.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 10-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #280 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Turborvr41991,

It was dark when I finished th grill block. Pics some time soon though I hope.

New tstat is 180 deg and gives engine temp of about 195. Old "stock" tstat from Honda was 172 deg, gave eng temp of 182. A hotter 195 deg t'stat was also available but that would have put operating temp about 205-210ºF, and that would cause the radiator fan to run frequently. So I'm happy with the 180ºF t'stat and 195ºF result. WATCH OUT! Accelerating to freeway speed. Today it went up to 215 (with grill block) so I had to run heater to cool things down. Usually with new tstat it can go to about 205 shortly after entering interstate, then will settle around 195 ish. today I was talking and didn't notice till it hit 215. Shame on me for that.

Reply  Post New Thread