Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 01:05 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Enthusiast

Jeepper - '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport
90 day: 19.96 mpg (US)

White Gen II Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57.68 mpg (US)
Alright I thought I chime in here, I am no expert, so I will give some images for ideas

Firstly we just purchased a Chevy Traverse a couple months back. This 3 row, 7 seater (4700lb!) is currently getting 22MPG with my wife driving. (With the roof racks, don't ask)

First, I am hoping to provide an insight as to what the manufacturers are doing in this area. My attempt is second

First is the rear spat:

The fronts do not have any, it seems Chevy is relying completely on the front air dam, for that.

And now my vehicle, I used one piece of (the best I can describe it) a carpet stair tread corner protector I decided to go about .25 inch wider than the tire, then attach with stainless screws.

Scrap left over:

Installed angle one:

Installed angle two:

Just hoping to provide ideas, if anyone has comments, I'd love to hear 'em.

-Dave

Last edited by blackcivic96; 05-17-2012 at 01:36 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to blackcivic96 For This Useful Post:
Cd (01-11-2021)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #22 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
I am curious of the benefit these would provide,Off hand without really understanding their use i am thinking that a spat ahead of the tire would be of benefit by reducing the amount of air that will pass over the rolling tire, thereby reducing the air resistance on the rotating tire.
The rear of the tire spats seem like they would restrict the air from leaving the rotating tire, causing unneeded drag.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
I am curious of the benefit these would provide,Off hand without really understanding their use i am thinking that a spat ahead of the tire would be of benefit by reducing the amount of air that will pass over the rolling tire, thereby reducing the air resistance on the rotating tire. The rear of the tire spats seem like they would restrict the air from leaving the rotating tire, causing unneeded drag.
I was just reviewing the Coventry papers that were on a thread here. There is one by Jeff Howell on Wheel-Wheelarch drag. They tested various front and rear fender skirt combinations and deduced that 80% of the drag penalty came from the exposed lower wheel(tire). In other words, even with front and rear side skirts a majority of the drag came from the air slamming into the front of the tire. I believe that is why tire spats are becoming commonplace, especially on Asian and German cars.

In another Coventry paper they tested "underfloor wheelarch blanking" on an Audi A2. They reduced drag by closing the gap between the belly pan and the tire. The tire spat may solve two problems by managing the airflow hitting the front of the tire and the turbulence of the wheelwell. Super slippery aerodynamic cars would utilize canoe-style boattailing in front and behind the tires. This is not practical for road going vehicles. A mini airdam (spat) in front of the tire can streamline the air around the tire and possibly prevent some turbulence in the wheelwell. Unfortunately, we do not have access to windtunnels to see what the perfect placement and size would be. The best we can do is to seek out similar vehicles and try to copy what the major manufacturers have done. I have been amazed to see how small some of the spats are in front of the rear tires of some Toyota SUVs (often smaller than a deck of cards). If you discount the hours of testing in the windtunnel, it is a cheap, easy fix for the automakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.

Last edited by COcyclist; 05-23-2012 at 05:41 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to COcyclist For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (05-23-2012), Ulmo (07-06-2019)
Old 05-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #24 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
COcyclist -

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcyclist View Post

In another Coventry paper they tested "underfloor wheelarch blanking" on an Audi A2. They reduced drag by closing the gap between the belly pan and the tire. The tire spat may solve two problems by managing the airflow hitting the front of the tire and the turbulence of the wheelwell. Super slippery aerodynamic cars would utilize canoe-style boattailing in front and behind the tires. This is not practical for road going vehicles. A mini airdam (spat) in front of the tire can streamline the air around the tire and possibly prevent some turbulence in the wheelwell. Unfortunately, we do not have access to windtunnels to see what the perfect placement and size would be. The best we can do is to seek out similar vehicles and try to copy what the major manufacturers have done. I have been amazed to see how small some of the spats are in front of the rear tires of some Toyota SUVs (often smaller than a deck of cards). If you discount the hours of testing in the windtunnel, it is a cheap, easy fix for the automakers.
Yes, that sums it up well. The spats work, but the devil is in the detail$ as to how they came about.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 02-02-2014, 12:59 AM   #25 (permalink)
0.29 Cd and decreasing

Red Rocket - '90 honda CRX HF
Team Honda
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 53.46 mpg (US)
Time to revive an old thread!

I made myself some rear wheel spats and after reading up on them more and more I feel like I made them too big. They are made of coroplast and they are cut into 4"x7" pieces and there is 3" showing.

From spats that I've seen on here and the big manufacturers the spats are smaller compared to the ones I made and I'm wondering if I should make them smaller or not.
and this is my air dam which was one of the first aero mods I put on this car and it turns out that it works to block both of the front tires as well.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbd56 View Post

Thanks for these photos. I have a thought for you to consider. It is possible that these two outer edges are too far out, too close to the outer edge of the tire. When I did mine I saw research for the Prius, second gen I think, that suggested that the outer edge of the spats should be an inch or two inside the outer edge of the tires. It's about how far the airflow gets pushed to the side. You want it to go just far enough to clear the front of the wheel and not so far as to extend the effectual frontal area of the car (via blown out airflow, apparently).

Thanks again,
james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #27 (permalink)
0.29 Cd and decreasing

Red Rocket - '90 honda CRX HF
Team Honda
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 53.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Thanks for these photos. I have a thought for you to consider. It is possible that these two outer edges are too far out, too close to the outer edge of the tire. When I did mine I saw research for the Prius, second gen I think, that suggested that the outer edge of the spats should be an inch or two inside the outer edge of the tires. It's about how far the airflow gets pushed to the side. You want it to go just far enough to clear the front of the wheel and not so far as to extend the effectual frontal area of the car (via blown out airflow, apparently).

Thanks again,
james
Alright I'll try that, I'll cut two inches off of each spat. I have seen ones that are like that before. I'm hoping that there are actually doing something
Old 02-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master Ecomadman

sc1 - '98 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 43.17 mpg (US)

Airplane Bike - '11 home built Carp line Tour

rans - '97 rans tailwind

tractor - '66 International Cub cadet 129

2002 Space Odyssey - '02 Honda Odyssey EX-L
90 day: 28.25 mpg (US)

red bug - '00 VW beetle TDI

big tractor - '66 ford 3400

red vw - '00 VW new beetle TDI
90 day: 58.42 mpg (US)

RV - '88 Winnebago LeSharo
90 day: 16.67 mpg (US)

Old 06-04-2014, 03:57 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Rear Spats on my '07 Honda Fit

After reading this thread, you guys got me so worked up, I had to give this a try myself. Even though I wasn't exactly sure how to go about this, I just went ahead and did what I thought looked right. I used the previous posts as a guide.
About 2 weeks ago, and 4 tanks later (~1,800 miles), I can only report a meager .5 mpg increase. I am not sure if this is due to the warmer weather, or a change in my driving. Regardless, I have not seen any negative effects. With my 13.81 gallon tank, I may have extended my cruising range by 6.5+ miles. I think I am gonna leave these on for now. Hopefully, I will find that these do in fact work to my advantage.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:36 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
I think the thing with factory wheel spats being relatively short might have to do with the fact that if you naively extend them down, their "aspect ratio" becomes bad and you can end up with powerful vortices coming off the sides of the spats. However perhaps in conjuction with a "lip spoiler" or side skirts, you could get them lower without this problem.

Reply  Post New Thread