Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2018, 04:26 AM   #1091 (permalink)
EcoModding Newb
 
redpoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,911

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 31.25 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 79.06 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 28.95 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,502
Thanked 1,204 Times in 827 Posts
Well, thanks for that segue into a lost 2hrs of Youtube videos were I found myself watching Japanese people try to pronounce English words to Siri.

... and Arnold thinks we wouldn't burn petrol if only it had a warning label...

something about crying wolf so often that it loses the sense of urgency.



Arnie's been in SoCal so long that the pollutants are seriously affecting his head.

__________________
Gas and Electric Vehicle Cost of Ownership Calculator







Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 03-14-2018 at 04:32 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 03-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #1092 (permalink)
Rat Racer
 
Fat Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Route 16
Posts: 3,056

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,076
Thanked 1,190 Times in 769 Posts
If you set a man on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
To some degree, expecting an individual to solve their own problem is beneficial to that individual, so long as they eventually solve their problem. People tend to live up to the standards that are imposed upon them.
Sadly, where that falls short is that many people solve their problems in a way that is benificial to themselves and detrimental to the community. Which is why, sadly, the community (AKA Big Government) has to impose standards on people that are simply trying to solve their own problems. There's a balance, but there's a big place for burdensome regulations.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #1093 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Brazil
Posts: 385
Thanks: 0
Thanked 43 Times in 38 Posts
Observing chimpanzees and their empathy, we see they are only good or care to their prole/babies or to the ones that can offer something. Small comunities fight with other small comunities.

Humanity evolution will need genetics to change our instints and make us a better, less savage species.

Last edited by All Darc; 03-14-2018 at 09:03 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:00 AM   #1094 (permalink)
Rat Racer
 
Fat Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Route 16
Posts: 3,056

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,076
Thanked 1,190 Times in 769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
IIRC the Federal response was:
I remember this response more clearly.

__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:34 AM   #1095 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,024
Thanks: 1,287
Thanked 465 Times in 331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
Observing chimpanzees and their empathy, we see they are only good or care to their prole/babies or to the ones that can offer something. Small comunities fight with other small comunities.

Humanity evolution will need genetics to change our instints and make us a better, less savage species.
Humans aren't chimps.

And chimps do exhibit altruistic behaviour without expectation of reward, as do humans.

Charity of the apes

We both have the capacity for either savagery or altruism. Like many intelligent mammals. Dolphins, for example, have shown altruistic behaviour towards both humans other intelligent cetaceans, while at the same time exhibiting hostile and sometimes deadly intent towards same.

Yet the fact that the savagery exists does not erase the fact that *most* people in a population are benevolent in nature. Civilization would not exist otherwise.

You're looking at it as laws guiding human behaviour. Laws haven't been around as long as people have. Laws merely codify social conventions that were there in the first place.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to niky For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 10:43 AM   #1096 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
sendler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Syracuse, NY USA
Posts: 2,291

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 106.36 mpg (US)

Ninja 250R SE Green - '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R SE
90 day: 65.9 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

Kawi Ninja650 - '07 Kawasaki Ninja650
90 day: 54.85 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 103.1 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 81.28 mpg (US)
Thanks: 285
Thanked 722 Times in 537 Posts
Humans evolved for survival over 2 Million years to the current form 200,00 years ago as hunter gatherers. Altruism evolved to advance small tribes of related individuals. Outgroups were competitors. We have only become super social in the last 10,000 years and still have stone age neuropsychology in our modern skulls. Feel good transmitters that used to fire when we found and ate a rich food source now give instant gratification from greasy fast food and seeking out the purchase of the newest gadget, car, yacht. Outgroups are blamed for anything that goes wrong.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (03-15-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #1097 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,024
Thanks: 1,287
Thanked 465 Times in 331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Humans evolved for survival over 2 Million years to the current form 200,00 years ago as hunter gatherers. Altruism evolved to advance small tribes of related individuals. Outgroups were competitors. We have only become super social in the last 10,000 years and still have stone age neuropsychology in our modern skulls. Feel good transmitters that used to fire when we found and ate a rich food source now give instant gratification from greasy fast food and seeking out the purchase of the newest gadget, car, yacht. Outgroups are blamed for anything that goes wrong.
True enough.

But it is possible to make humans see others as part of the in-group.

Connectivity.

It has been shown that travel and exposure to others lessens racist tendencies.

Social Media has the potential to make us all one big "tribe"... however, the biological imperatives you talk about do get in the way.

We'll figure it all out eventually.

Or die trying.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to niky For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (03-15-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 11:57 AM   #1098 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Brazil
Posts: 385
Thanks: 0
Thanked 43 Times in 38 Posts
Subconscient it's the key...
The autruistic behavior it's for the ones of their group, cause in the deep of their minds they know they need each other in a comunity.
I saw a documentary showing even canibalism among chimps of different groups, killing for the domain of a fig tree.

Humans are more than 99% chimps, in genetic terms.
Human history it's dirty enough.


Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Humans aren't chimps.

And chimps do exhibit altruistic behaviour without expectation of reward, as do humans.

Charity of the apes

We both have the capacity for either savagery or altruism. Like many intelligent mammals. Dolphins, for example, have shown altruistic behaviour towards both humans other intelligent cetaceans, while at the same time exhibiting hostile and sometimes deadly intent towards same.

Yet the fact that the savagery exists does not erase the fact that *most* people in a population are benevolent in nature. Civilization would not exist otherwise.

You're looking at it as laws guiding human behaviour. Laws haven't been around as long as people have. Laws merely codify social conventions that were there in the first place.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:47 PM   #1099 (permalink)
Ecomuggler
 
Xist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 6,531

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 34.82 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 37.34 mpg (US)
Thanks: 3,795
Thanked 1,183 Times in 886 Posts
I have always heard that the last thing people want after a disaster is a President, his entourage, Secret Service, etc., getting in the way of putting their lives back together.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:29 PM   #1100 (permalink)
Ecomuggler
 
Xist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 6,531

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 34.82 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 37.34 mpg (US)
Thanks: 3,795
Thanked 1,183 Times in 886 Posts
Climate Science Goes to Court Next Week

  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
freebeard (03-15-2018)
Reply  Post New Thread


Tags
lies, reality, scam

Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com