Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2019, 01:11 PM   #5751 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,199 Times in 4,637 Posts
Davenport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
More record flooding - this is Davenport, Iowa.

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2019...sissippi-river
It's funny,that as the Sun weakens,Earth continues to warm,evaporating more water vapor,creating more atmospheric rivers,while knocking the polar vortex silly,with bombogenesis snowmaggedons,rapid melting,then black-swan flooding events,the likes of which have never been recorded.
Couldn't possibly be the atmospheric greenhouse gas concentration Earth hasn't seen in the past 800,000 years,when seas were 75-100 feet higher.
Go ahead and book your reservations for snow-skiing in Hell.

The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (05-06-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-04-2019, 01:24 PM   #5752 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,546 Times in 7,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by myself
Tony Heller thinks the data is fudged, others think the climate science is wrong, but the statistical view is that the interpretation is wrong.
You quoted this part and didn't respond to it. Your response? I'm with the statistical view.
Quote:
Quote:
A 15 minute rant on — it's not just dumb it's dangerous to say fossil fuels haven't improved human health.
Perhaps you missed some of the conversation pertaining to fossil-fuel-induce[d] extinction.That would be a health implication in the negative.
'improved human health' is a perfectly contextual comment,and is valid,only within the extremely myopic worldview in which it is framed.
So you're saying that so-called 'fossil-fuel' use is leading to human extinction? Well. of course... collapsing food chains will take everything down but it's cause is pollution not the weather.
Again, I was going to Xist's shed thread to post this but it's relevant here:

At ten minutes it gets onto veganism and cloth diapers, but basically it is a low-tech house under a high tech dome. This would work as well in Aridzona as it does in Snorway.

I love the smell of irony in the morning -- Elon Musk

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-04-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 02:03 PM   #5753 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ben Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Small taters.

S0 vs AAS: https://youtu.be/qiSDJbqAfh4

edit:
I was thinking about AOC's Green New Deal and it caused me to look up Primrose Path. It turns out that it's a quotation from Hamlet.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q="primrose+path"
I suspect that Ben can't get an audience with an authentic scientific journal,as he's not a scientist,and if what he submitted reflects how he constructs his verbal arguments,he'd be shot down by peer-reviewers,with no chance of publication;as he demonstrates pseudo-scientific proclivities.
His comments about magnetic field strength and volcanism/seismic activity alone,is enough for him to be immediately dismissed as a crank.
There are over 1600 predatory science journals which,for a fee,would be perfectly happy to publish his paper,without any editorial review.
I can't possibly see SCIENCE,or NATURE picking him up.
Most of Earth's protection begins 9,300,000,000-miles out,at the end of the heliosphere.Earth's magnetic field a squat,compared to that.
What leaves the Sun is governed by the inverse-square law,with a dillution factor the further and further you get from the chromosphere,and with Earth's orbit and spin,isn't always 'looking' at the Sun.
During a magnetic reversal,Earth doesn't lose all it's magnetosphere.There'd be no methane hydrates,petroleum,or natural gas,if past magnetic reversals were associated with extinctions.
Only a coronal mass ejection would be a game changer,and as folks,no doubt, have told Ben,there's not a damned thing we could do about one of those.We'd have two days notice,but what would be the point?

Old 05-04-2019, 02:23 PM   #5754 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

pollution not weather

Quote:
You quoted this part and didn't respond to it. Your response? I'm with the statistical view.

So you're saying that so-called 'fossil-fuel' use is leading to human extinction? Well. of course... collapsing food chains will take everything down but it's cause is pollution not the weather.
Again, I was going to Xist's shed thread to post this but it's relevant here:

At ten minutes it gets onto veganism and cloth diapers, but basically it is a low-tech house under a high tech dome. This would work as well in Aridzona as it does in Snorway.
The scientific observations and research don't support your argument.There's a vast body of interdisciplinary research which points directly to anthropogenic greenhouse gas-driven climate change, threatening life on Earth more than any other factor.
Multi-family urban structures would be far superior to greenhouse-enclosed,single-family housing,if you were talking about minimizing energy demands.
Veganism would cut the agricultural carbon footprint by 6X,compared to a flesh diet.There's no controversy there,other that it might invite a 6X increase in the human population.

Old 05-04-2019, 02:46 PM   #5755 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I suspect that Ben can't get an audience with an authentic scientific journal,as he's not a scientist,and ...[salty tears]
I don't think of him as a scientist but as a citizen journalist. Today's post starts with
Quote:
[Music]
good morning folks we've got news on
geoengineering earthquakes a distant
galaxy and ancient stellar events in our
solar system you might have noticed the
Sun is active as well let's start there
at space weather news[.com]...
...and cites Nature and Columbia News. The Journal of Environmental Economics and Mangement may be as you describe. Should he not report on them?
Quote:
Only a coronal mass ejection would be a game changer,and as folks,no doubt, have told Ben,there's not a damned thing we could do about one of those.We'd have two days notice,but what would be the point?
His rebuttal would be that we have survived them before.
The scientific observations and research don't support your argument.There's a vast body of interdisciplinary research which points directly to anthropogenic greenhouse gas-driven climate change, threatening life on Earth more than any other factor.
Multi-family urban structures would be far superior to greenhouse-enclosed,single-family housing,if you were talking about minimizing energy demands.
Veganism would cut the agricultural carbon footprint by 6X,compared to a flesh diet.There's no controversy there,other that it might invite a 6X increase in the human population.
Does this vast body state that explicitly, or is it inferred?
Urbanites could follow the example set. Non?
So you're saying veganism makes people fecund?

Weird cyclone worth seeing:
https://youtu.be/9tKYwEPalms?t=66

I have little respect for potholer54, I think he's a muck-racker, but he rebuts Ben Davidson here:

I could only take the first three minutes of his obfusaction, I don't know how it turns out. Is that him in the thumbnail? Tobacco cigarette in his mouth isn't cool, but at least it's a Zippo lighter.

Last edited by freebeard; 05-04-2019 at 03:12 PM..

aerohead (05-04-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 03:45 PM   #5756 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

journalist

Quote:
I don't think of him as a scientist but as a citizen journalist. Today's post starts with

...and cites Nature and Columbia News. The Journal of Environmental Economics and Mangement may be as you describe. Should he not report on them?

I have little respect for potholer54, I think he's a muck-racker, but he rebuts Ben Davidson here:

I could only take the first three minutes of his obfusaction, I don't know how it turns out.
*If he doesn't know the difference between science and pseudo-science,and if he's an 'influencer' for even more ignorant people than himself, then it has the potential to lead people down a rabbit hole,further and further from the facts.Not a problem with interior design,but the greatest harm,with respect to climate change.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
*If he's not concerned with a CME,then what is he concerned about? Solar wind blowing the atmosphere off the planet? Losing the ozone layer? Does he not understand atmospheric photochemistry? (he doesn't mention it.maybe he doesn't know it exists.)
*In a nutshell,the vast body of observational,empirical evidence,and a disturbing statistical probability is,such that anthropogenic greenhouse gases are causing non-linear, accelerating global warming and climate change of which Earth's flora and fauna are not evolutionary selected for,and will be pushed beyond what they can adapt to,and will perish.
The food web is, and will continue to collapse,and latent heat will reach a point such that Earth will be cease to be inhabitable as we know it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Nobody can predict with any certainty the specific time frame,but the cautionary principle dictates that we act to mitigate.We fail to act,at our own peril.
*Population is a function of food supply.If you transition from a meat-eating culture,to a vegan culture you can expand the food supply by 6X.If you subscribe to the Jevon's Paradox,or,Kazoom-Brookes Postulate,then there's the potential for the world's population to expand upwards to the new food supply limit.It has nothing to do with fertility rates.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My day is almost shot,I don't know if I'll get to your new videos.They're extremely time consuming!

Old 05-04-2019, 04:15 PM   #5757 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

obfuscation

Quote:

I could only take the first three minutes of his obfusaction, I don't know how it turns out. Is that him in the thumbnail? Tobacco cigarette in his mouth isn't cool, but at least it's a Zippo lighter.
Perhaps Ben thinks he's helping.I don't know.He isn't a scientist,and in all things scientific,he might want to defer to the experts.
Science requires an exacting precision with language,of which Ben lacks command.
Glacials and interglacials are defined by sea- level.Period.He doesn't appear to know that fact.
He never mentions interstadials,of which the Earth has experienced many,something else never mentioned.(out of ignorance?)
I thought potholer54 was quite generous in his handling of Ben.
Ben Davidson appears very attached to the notion that,experts should extend the time and respect reserved for real scientists,who make real contributions,and would never get any work done,if they had to cater to the unanointed.
There's a price which accompanies entrance into the scientific community,which seems to elude Ben Davidson.
I've heard enough of him for a lifetime.I'm done with Suspicious Observer.

Last edited by aerohead; 05-04-2019 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: spell

Old 05-04-2019, 05:09 PM   #5758 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
*If he doesn't know the difference between science and pseudo-science,and if he's an 'influencer' for even more ignorant people than himself, then it has the potential to lead people down a rabbit hole,further and further from the facts.Not a problem with interior design,but the greatest harm,with respect to climate change.
*If he's not concerned with a CME,then what is he concerned about? Solar wind blowing the atmosphere off the planet? Losing the ozone layer? Does he not understand atmospheric photochemistry? (he doesn't mention it.maybe he doesn't know it exists.)
*In a nutshell...*Nobody can predict with any certainty (the specific time frame,but the cautionary principle dictates that we act to mitigate.We fail to act,at our own peril.)
[snip]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My day is almost shot,I don't know if I'll get to your new videos.They're extremely time consuming!
I could only take 3 minutes of potholer54 myself.

S0 has a posse of 400,000 fact checkers that you are denigrating. One of them is a national award-winning high school kid.

Re: the CMEs. He has a 23-part series on mini-novas that are interpreted as asteroidal impacts in the geologic record.
Quote:
Perhaps Ben thinks he's helping.I don't know.He isn't a scientist,and in all things scientific,he might want to defer to the experts.
Science requires an exacting precision with language,of which Ben lacks command.
Glacials and interglacials are defined by seal level.Period.He doesn't appear to know that fact.
He never mentions interstadials,of which the Earth has experienced many,something else never mentioned.(out of ignorance?)
I thought potholer54 was quite generous in his handling of Ben.
There's a price which accompanies entrance into the scientific community,which seems to elude Ben Davidson.
I've heard enough of him for a lifetime.I'm done with Suspicious Observer.
Potholer54 disingenuously points to his discussion of interglacials and says (paraprhasing)"He's either talking bout the leading edge or the trailing edge but no— he's talking about both!" I don't have time for that.

Unfortunately I can't find a direct link to the cyclone video. You could look at it and then close the tab when it's over. Would you do that for me?

"Science requires an exacting precision with language,of which Ben lacks command." Here're the links he provided today;
Quote:
Today's Featured Links: Nearby Neutron Star Merger: https://www.nature.com/articles/s4158... Real Quake Risk Map: https://now.tufts.edu/news-releases/s... Hubble NGC 2903: https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/fi... Geoengineering Charade: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science...
They use exacting language. Journalists popularize them.

aerohead (05-08-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 09:52 PM   #5759 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,797 Times in 937 Posts
Quote:
Is that him in the thumbnail? Tobacco cigarette in his mouth isn't cool, but at least it's a Zippo lighter.
That's a screenshot from Get Shorty (1995)--Gene Hackman's character Harry Zimm, a bumbling Hollywood director who gets caught up in a mob dispute. My favorite movie.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (05-04-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 07:54 AM   #5760 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
New, open source computer based system modeling tool project. MEDEAS "Modelling the Energy Development under Environmental And Socioeconomic constraints" aims to create a new computational model that will define the future of the energy system in Europe, taking into account physical as well as social constraints.
Intro video here
https://youtu.be/ExaFpPJKdnE

The Following User Says Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-08-2019)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, opinion, reality, scam