Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2019, 01:13 PM   #6951 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
Oil pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME_Andy View Post
Oil pan's got a good point, the vast majority of people who claim to believe in climate change aren't changing their lives in any meaningful way. What's the word for that? Starts with an h.

I've become a believer recently. It doesn't change my life much except eating less red meat.
When he calls all climate scientists liars and cult members,the general public shrugs their shoulders and carries on with business-as-usual.That's his default plan.It's working perfectly!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #6952 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
I bet almost every single one of them drove a gasoline powered car to get there and don't own any solar power equipment in the Kw range or have planted a tree with in the last year.
I am part owner of a large hydro plant and several nuclear plants as part of public utilities. Solar is less effective here in the snowy North East especially in Winter where I have seen logs showing 19 out of 25 days with near zero production. Wind turbine permitting is being streamlined and will see some big gains at the near shore area of Long Island in the next coming years. Too bad the US is totally behind the curve in wind turbine production and will be buying all foreign made hardware and installers.
Is buying a new, 4000 pound electric vehicle really more beneficial to the planet when my 10 year old 40 mpgUS car still works fine? 2/3 of my annual mileage is on an 8 year old, 100 mpgUS motorcycle. That has only 360 pounds of materials in it.
But I agree, there are some blind spots in the understanding of the climate strikers as to the trade offs between human well being/ energy/ economy/ ecology within the current system. Which is why I am working so hard to help people understand all of this. They don't understand that moving too quickly to leave carbon fuel in the ground before it's demand is reduced and replaced (never), would cause more immediate problems than the long term ones it solved.
We have seen Greta's message changing from "do something" to "system change, not climate change". She has learned a great deal in one year since sitting alone in the rain with a cardboard sign. Much more than she would have if she had stayed in a regular school. The internet holds the sum knowledge of mankind in the palm of your hand.

Old 09-21-2019, 02:18 PM   #6953 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
Slayer of bull****: Vaclav Smil
https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...end-economists

The Following User Says Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-21-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 02:38 PM   #6954 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Acirema Declares War on Climate Change

The Acireman Parliament,in a unanimous vote,has approved a war declaration against climate change.In a special session,Prime Minister Winston Tavernvale has described the present situation as akin to 'a 'Carbon-Curtain' descending upon the Empire''.
All ministers have convened roundtable working sessions to hammer out the details of their green new deal equivalent,which has been given an agreed-upon deadline of thirty days in order to expedite the launch of what they're referring to as a 'Warm-War.'
No one is certain about the specifics at this time,however there is a palpable sense of urgency among the ministers,as they anticipate the transition into a new petri dish.
The administer for the Bureau of Public Information,Reginald Pike Morgan,promises full media access to the ongoing proceedings.

Old 09-21-2019, 03:08 PM   #6955 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

some new (to me) sources

I just finished reading the book,'Lies,Damned Lies,and Science,'by Ph.D.Sherry Seethaler,copyright 2009,FT PRESS,198-pages.
Seethaler shared a couple sources new to me.I looked them up online,and they go right to the horses mouth:
*Google Scholar
*EurekAlert!
The first is pretty obvious as to origin.
The second is by the American Association for the Advancement of Science,who publishes SCIENCE,one of the foremost,peer-reviewed,scientific journals.
Anyway,they're available to us with a few keystrokes.

Old 09-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #6956 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
I don't think electric vehicles do jack to save the planet, but it seems the cult of climatology believes everyone else should be forced to drive one. Look at our own climate justice virtue signalers here. Only 1 of them drives an electric, but they all think everyone else should be buying them.
I saw a where small town in Maine is installing a bunch of solar panels in a pointless virtue signaling move. The panels are going in a small clearing with Forrest on 3 sides and the panels will be buried in snow for at least 4 months out of the year and barely see any sun for half the year.
Just because solar panels will only work for a few months out of the year and are never going to be economical up north isn't a reason not to buy them, it's all about virtue signaling.
You have to spend other people's money in the proper politically motivated way to show how much you fake care about the environment.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 09-21-2019 at 03:35 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-21-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 04:00 PM   #6957 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

EVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
I don't think electric vehicles do jack to save the planet, but it seems the cult of climatology believes everyone else should be forced to drive one. Look at our own climate justice virtue signalers here. Only 1 of them drives an electric, but they all think everyone else should be buying them.
I saw a where small town in Maine is installing a bunch of solar panels in a pointless virtue signaling move. The panels are going in a small clearing with Forrest on 3 sides and the panels will be buried in snow for at least 4 months out of the year and barely see any sun for half the year.
Just because solar panels will only work for a few months out of the year and are never going to be economical up north isn't a reason not to buy them, it's all about virtue signaling.
You have to spend other people's money in the proper politically motivated way to show how much you fake care about the environment.
The original rationale for EVs was,
*No carbon dioxide at the vehicle.
*One 'tailpipe' at the power plant to deal with,worst-case.
*If powered by renewables,or nuclear,then essentially a 'zero-carbon' vehicles.This IS where climate change could be impacted.If we're going to maintain mobility AND handle global warming,this is all we have going for us.Nationwide charging infrastructure would be helpful.So far,Elon Musk is the only game out there.If EVs become an 'Apollo Mission',then we may see more widespread adoption and economies of scale.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maine will have to answer for themselves.If 'in season',they get sun, between 9:00 AM and 3:00 PM,it will fulfill their design requirement to carry some of the summertime load..Perhaps they're also going to do offshore wind,for pre-light and post-light power production.

The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (09-23-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 04:23 PM   #6958 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFA
[It is] the Philippines, which is much poorer and smitten by typhoons, yet many times more happy than their neighbours in Japan.
This is how it is. This is what kind of species we are: we are stupid, we are negligent, we are tardy. But on the other hand, we are adaptable, we are smart and even as things are falling apart, we are trying to stitch them together. But the most difficult thing is to calculate the net effect. Are we up or down? For all the analysis, we don’t know this.
I like these parts.

I got a ride in my son's new Silverado (it gets 43 instantaneous mpg with cylinder deactivation), so I can now distinguish $50K pickups from $40K pickups. I rode my bike to the laundamart and there was $140K of pickups in the parking lot and at least three people inside who can not afford their own washer and dryer.

That's the problem that needs to be fixed.
Quote:
the cult of climatology believes everyone else should be forced to drive one. Look at our own climate justice virtue signalers here. Only 1 of them drives an electric, but they all think everyone else should be buying them.
I don't care what they think (just why). I want an EV for the lower maintenance cost and not smelling raw gas when I go around a corner.
Quote:
So far,Elon Musk is the only game out there.
VW (post Dieselgate) is stepping up, at least in Europe.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-21-2019), ME_Andy (09-21-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 04:37 PM   #6959 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dieselgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I like these parts.

I got a ride in my son's new Silverado (it gets 43 instantaneous mpg with cylinder deactivation), so I can now distinguish $50K pickups from $40K pickups. I rode my bike to the laundamart and there was $140K of pickups in the parking lot and at least three people inside who can not afford their own washer and dryer.

That's the problem that needs to be fixed.

I don't care what they think (just why). I want an EV for the lower maintenance cost and not smelling raw gas when I go around a corner.

VW (post Dieselgate) is stepping up, at least in Europe.
I believe that,as a condition of the settlement imposed in the USA,VW is obligated to to provide something like 10,000 U.S. EV charging stations across the country.That would be a pretty nice kick-start,complementing what Tesla has out there.

The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
freebeard (09-21-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 05:10 PM   #6960 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
'Coffee with you-know-who' is right now saying that Climate Change ==>nuclear. Cites media favorable reports from both left and right. Booker and AOC both in favor, or at least nuke-curious.
  • Pre-2019 —Era of Scarcity
  • 2019-2050—Era of Design
  • 2050 and on—Golden Age
Design of systems not products.

edit:
Add Andrew Yang. Per https://youtu.be/BK_ctdto8i0 with molten salt the resulting materials can be separated and resold to the tune of USD$15M/gigawatt-year.

Last edited by freebeard; 09-21-2019 at 09:01 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-25-2019)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, opinion, reality, scam