Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 01:50 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsmith24 View Post
How did you connect the wire from the button to the board? I have mine pushed into the appropriate pin header (nothing real permanent). In other words, can you disconnect the button from the board (but still keep the wires connected to the button itself)?
My buttons are on a separate breadboard and it is the kind that has two holes for every contact. So I soldered the buttons and the wires separately.

I'll go to RadioShack tomorrow morning and see if I can find new buttons just like the old ones (except with more resistance).

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-15-2008, 03:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
If it helps anything...
I am running an iDuino with a blue backlight display, too. In the code, you can change the contrast settings, and upload it again. I am using a contrast of 315. You can change those numbers (and any others you would want to change) in the code towards the top. Where it says:
Code:
char *  parmLabels[]={"Contrast","VSS Pulses/Mile", "MicroSec/Gallon","Pulses/2 revs","Timout(microSec)","Tank Gal * 1000","Injector DelayuS","Weight (lbs)","scratchpad(odo?)"};
//unsigned long  parms[]={15ul,16408ul,684968626ul,3ul,420000000ul,13300ul,500ul};//default values
unsigned long  parms[]={95ul,8208ul,500000000ul,3ul,420000000ul,10300ul,500ul,2400ul,0ul};//default values
You can change the 95 to 315 (or other numbers) and see how things work. I just changed the "hundreds" number, and there were lots of settings that worked, and lots that looked pretty bad, so you may have to try a few to find a good one. You can check out how I did my build (and see any potential differences between our builds). I am still working on it, but it's coming along nicely.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

After fixing the buttons, I can now adjust the contrast. Turning it to 7 makes it where I can read "Contrast 00000007". But then what? The other half of the LCD still shows white blocks. Should it? How do I go on to another screen?

Edit - Okay I went an found instructions. I can't see a "XX" or "OK". But by positioning the cursor on my first digit and then going one more left, I was able to use it anyway. So I got through the setup screen. Now I guess the thing is working. The screen is a little glitchy and isn't always readable, but it is showing I 000.00 and C 000.38

Edit - When I took it back to the car to take pictures, it was back uncontrasted and I couldn't set it again. So now I've gone into the program and made all of my settings the defaults in the hopes that it will now start up right. I'll go take some pictures now if I can, but basically the right half of the screen stays white blocks except for the occasional wiggling glitch.

Last edited by Axaday; 09-15-2008 at 05:16 PM..
Old 09-15-2008, 04:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Well, progress. Can you post a picture of the lcd "problem"?
Old 09-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModder

Line 1 should read something like "CONTRAST"
Line 2 should be 16 characters, about 10 numbers, ok, xx (not sure what the xx is for), "0000000315 OK XX"
Mine has never displayed white blocks, the whole display should be controlled together. Things to try (again if necessary)
1. Refresh the code (I had to do this twice for what ever reason)
2. Make sure your wires connecting the LCD to the rest are soldered well on both ends, and that the wire used is solder friendly (not all metals can be soldered).
I guess I don't know what else it could be, it almost certainly has to be something like that, since there shouldn't be any white blocks on that screen.
Cycling through screens is done by using the left/right buttons to move the cursor to OK and pushing the center button. Then you cycle through screens in the order of the code posted above... Contrast, VSS Pulses/Mile, MicroSec/Gallon, etc. until you finish your setup and then you should be taken to one of the screens that shows Instantanious MPG/Speed/Current MPG/Distance (or similar).
Do you have a picture of your setup that you could post? That way it could be verified that everything looks as it should.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:29 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Is it right at the start of the program where I can change the defaults? That's what I've been doing, but I just took it back to the car and managed to adjust the contrast and it is still defaulting 0 Contrast and 100 VSS when I've changed them to 2000 and 4000.

Edit - Actually, since I'm only getting the first 8 digits of the field, I'm not sure what the defaults are showing.

Edit - I rechecked the LCD connection with my multimeter earlier before taking it to the car for the first time today. It shows no resistance on each solder, but positions 2 and 3 on the LCD showed connectivity. It isn't the solder and the wires are nowhere near each other on the other ends.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #27 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

Couple clarifications:

Once the values make it into the eprom (when you make it through all the setup screens) the program defaults are ignored.

Also the valid values for contrast are 0 to 255. The wrap around at 255 so Wyatts mention of 315 above is really a 60. Not a lot of room for a fancy editor so that's what is going on there.

Ax, I suspect one of your lcd lines isn't set up right. Which model did you have again?
Old 09-15-2008, 05:47 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Couple clarifications:

Once the values make it into the eprom (when you make it through all the setup screens) the program defaults are ignored.
So what do I need to do? When I take it to the car now, it is trying to disply "IM000.00" and "CM000.00". I say trying because the sides of the M's come on and off. And also because the contrast is always where I can't see, so I have to push all 3 buttons to go through setup. But I have to do that every time because it nevers saves my changes once it is unplugged.

In the long run, I'll be leaving it plugged in most of the time, but right now I'm carrying it in and out so that I can do internal investigations. But if I cleared its memory somehow would it forget that it had been through the setup and go by the defaults?

Quote:
Also the valid values for contrast are 0 to 255. The wrap around at 255 so Wyatts mention of 315 above is really a 60. Not a lot of room for a fancy editor so that's what is going on there.
Okay, I'm changing mine to 60.

Quote:
Ax, I suspect one of your lcd lines isn't set up right. Which model did you have again?
16x2 LCD Module White Characters Blue Backlight

I'm going to recheck the solders and the diagram now.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModder

I think I may have mis-spoke, your MPGuino should be storing your Contrast, VSS Pulses/Mile, MicroSec/Gallon, etc. to EEPROM (meaning it doesn't require power to save). This way people don't lose their presets when they update the code, so you probably have numbers stored. I am going to guess that if you were able to get to the second screen when all you saw was blocks, you may be able to scroll to the "tens" number and adjust it (Even if you can't see it), and same with the "ones" number.
BTW, I am able to hook the MPGuino up to the the computer by USB connection and operate it just like it was in the car (only I don't get signals, like with my car off). It may be easier for you to do things from your computer.
NOTE:
Since I have only changed the "Hundreds" number, I have no idea what the other two numbers even do, so if you wanted to, you could go through all of the 100 settings (by changing the numbers you can't see) pretty easily if you were up for it.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:00 PM   #30 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axaday View Post
Edit - I rechecked the LCD connection with my multimeter earlier before taking it to the car for the first time today. It shows no resistance on each solder, but positions 2 and 3 on the LCD showed connectivity. It isn't the solder and the wires are nowhere near each other on the other ends.

lcd pins 2 and 3 are about 10k ohms apart on a guino sitting on my desk.